You got beef? Most Maltese burger joints will say yes, but can we suggest alternative burgers that are equally as good and juicy?
From salmon to rabbit to pork, here are some tasty AF burgers that hold their own on the island without the need of a beef or chicken patty.
1. The Middle East Style Lamb Burger from Hugo’s Burger Bar, St Julian’s
This lamb burger from Hugo’s Burger Bar is a tribute to the Middle East.
Expect a succulent lamb patty, bianco leaf, zucchni and a spicy falafel and a special hummus sauce.
2. The Roger Rabbit Burger from Bongo Nyah, Marsascala
A 200g rabbit burger made from fresh deboned herbed rabbit, served in a brioche bun and topped with crunchy onions, tomatoes and greenleaf lettuce.
3. Pulled Pork Burger from Tal Pjazza Cafe, Buġibba
Pjazza’s burger involves a local 200g pulled pork shoulder patty topped with mature cheddar cheese and caramelised onion.
4. The Octopus Burger from Sea Salt, Sliema
Head over to the recently-opened fish takeaway joint and try the creative octopus burger.
It includes fresh octopus and chorizo on tomato relish, served on a mixed leaf salad with an octopus reduction dressing.
5. Pork Rib Burger from Cafe Cuba
Sliema, St Julians, Pama
Wrap your lips around a de-boned pork loin rib served in a toasted brioche bun with melted cheddar cheese, tomatoes and a piccalilli relish.
Only at Cafe Cuba.
6. The Bear Necessity Salmon Burger from Badass Burgers, St Julian’s
This bad boy comes with a fresh salmon patty, lettuce, picked onion, cucumber, avocado mojo verde, rocket and a honey & wholegrain mustard dressing with lemon and lime zest.
7. The Confit Rabbit Burger from Kingsway, Valletta
Sink your teeth into confit rabbit, truffle mayo, red onion jam, vintage cheddar and rocket in between two buns!
8. The Sunday Roast Burger from Hungry Cow, St Paul’s Bay
We love burgers and we love great Sunday roasts, so Hungry Cow decided to mash the two up.
The burger includes slow-cooked roast beef slices, mixed veg, mash potato and Yorkshire puddings instead of buns. Served with roast potatoes as a side.
9. The Fillet-Of-Fish Burger from Sea Salt, Sliema
Now that’s what we call a really fancy fish burger. Pan-seared fillet of fish seved with tomato relish, rocket, homemade mayo and gherkins in a brioche bun.
10. The Duck & Cabbage Burger from Hangout Bar & Kitchen, Msida
Hang out at Hangout to enjoy their duck burger with cabbage. They also have a pork loin burger that’s finger lickin’ good!
11. The Wild Boar, Crocodile, Zebra, Duck or Kangaroo Burgers from The Journey, Ħamrun
Of course this place had to make the list!
The Journey are known for their burgers with exotic meats such as zebra, crocodile and kangaroo. Read all about their crazy creations right here!