There’s nothing better than a comforting piping hot bowl of soup which sticks to the ribs and warms the soul (especially in the morbid winter months).
And even though we might not get snow or sub-zero temperatures here in Malta, the winter months can still get awfully chilly. And with so many different varieties from all over the world congregating on the island, it’s really hard to get bored of soup! Plus, a hearty soup can work just as well as a main course.
Here are 13 of the best soups in Malta we’ve had recently.
1. Goat Meat Pepper Soup at Kaya Pub Snack Bar, Buġibba
This soup from new afro-Caribbean (and Asian) joint will do just the trick! It is fiery, exotic and the goat meat is tender AF!
2. Letcho from Margaret Island, Sliema
Letcho is a Hungarian tomato pepper stew. It includes lots of fresh tomato, green pepper and paprika with home made roasted sausage and onion. Try it either as an appetiser or main course!
3. Any soup from Balance Bowl, Gżira
Balance Bowl’s soups are seriously amazing. No soup is ever the same as they change it on the daily. Quality and taste remains the same.
4. Tom Yam Soup at Tikka’s Thai Street Food, San Ġwann
We can’t get enough of the Tom Yam soup from Tikka’s.
It’s super authentic, proper spicy (but not in a painful way) and you can get it with seafood or chicken.
5. Ramen at Fat Louie’s, St Julian’s
Fat Louie’s have launched ramen for a limited period and it get’s a thumbs up from us.
So how about Tonkotsu bone broth with pork belly?
6. Harira soup at Sharma Ethnic Cuisine, St Julian’s
A robust Moroccan soup with lamb, fresh celery, lentils, chickpeas, fresh herbs and vermicelli.
7. Peanut Soup at Emmanuel’s Real African Food, Ħamrun
This soup which originates from West Africa contains peanut, tomatoes, onions and ginger. So many flavours in just one bowl.
8. Aljotta at Gululu Kcina Maltija, St Julian’s
Obviously countless of restaurants serve really amazing Aljotta (the traditional Maltese fish soup) but we’re going to focus on one we had recently and that’s from Gululu!
9. Pumpkin soup at Emma’s Kitchen, San Ġwann
A thick bowl of pumpkin soup is one of the best winter warmers that sticks to the ribs!
10. Ramen at Wagamama, St Julian’s
Wagamama dish out fantastic ramen noodle soups! We love the chilli chicken ramen but they also have duck, short rib, seafood and ribeye ramen, to name a few
11. Tom Yum Khoong at Chang Thai, Buġibba
This traditional Thai hot and sour soup has tiger prawns in a fiery milky broth with mushrooms, chilli, coriander, spring onions, lemon grass, galangal, kaffir leaves and lime juice.
12. TukTuk’s new daily soup specials at Carob Tree, St Julian’s
TukTuk (Carob Tree) are now doing daily soup specials! It’s one of our fave Indian eateries on the Island so we have no doubt that their soups will be epic.
13. Thick Vegetable Soup served with fresh sheep cheeselet at Diar il-Briet, Dingli
So hearty and moreish!