Maltese people love ourselves a bit of rabbit, whether it’s in a plate of spaghetti or as part of a good old traditional fenkata. But what if you wanted to satisfy your cravings for rabbit… while also adding a cheesy helping of pizza?
Hold on, we hear you warn us. It cannot be done. We’ve gone too far and we need to turn back. Well, actually, if this is a sign of things to come, then Malta is definitely only getting started when it comes to bringing our foodie A-Game… and it’s all thanks to cooking extraordinaire Ch-EAT.
Say a salivating hello to the Rabbit Pizza Bowl
If you want to know how to make the rabbit pizza bowl for yourself and your loved ones (because honestly, why wouldn’t you?!), Ch-EAT’s Jon Camilleri has been graceful enough to give us the lowdown.
So listen up, and let’s get cooking!
Ingredients (for two large portions)
- 2 tsp Melted Butter
- 8-10 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 8-10 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 Large Mushrooms
- 400g Pizza Dough
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 400g Rabbit Meat
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 White Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 100ml Red Wine
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée (concentrate)
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 300g Passata di Pomodoro
- 100ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
- On a medium-high heat, fry the chopped rabbit meat with a tablespoon of olive oil. We used rabbit belly
- When it’s browned, add thyme, garlic granules, chopped onion, diced carrots, salt & pepper, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, sugar, passata di pomodoro, water and chicken stock powder respectively. Stir throughout the process
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low
- Simmer for about an hour or until the sauce has thickened
- Brush melted butter on the inside of an oven proof bowl, covering the edges as well
- Line with provolone and mozzarella cheeses
- Place three large mushrooms
- Add rabbit sauce
- Cover everything with pizza dough, sealing the bowl tightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is fully browned
- Take out of the oven and let them rest for five minutes
- Carefully flip onto a plate and remove the bowl with the help of a spoon. Be careful, the bowl will be hot.
- Enjoy and Insta that beauty!
You definitely won’t disappointed, but you will be hungry!