OK, so we’re warning you. You might end up drooling over your keyboards or phones by the end of this. But trust us, it’s going to be well worth any saliva-induced damages.
New Facebook page Ch-EAT have stayed true to their name for their first ever video, sharing a mouthwatering recipe of a monster of a Maltese meal.
This is the legendary pastizzi pie
Two years ago, we tried to muffle our #FoodPorn screams when food lover and regular culinary experimenter Jon Camilleri shared one of the first iterations of the pastizzi pie.
“I honestly have no idea how I got the idea to try out a pastizzi pie!” he had told Lovin Malta. “It started off with a normal spinach and ricotta pie, but I then decided to add pastizzi around the whole thing to make a pastizzi pie… on steroids. It took a while to properly get the cooking time of both in sync, but I finally got it.” And yes, yes he had gotten it.
Now, Jon is back, taking to Ch-EAT’s debut video to share the recipe to the glorious creation
In case you were wondering how to pull off a culinary feat this amazing for yourself, here’s everything you need to know:
- 650g Ricotta
- 50g Grated Pecorino Romano
- 50g Grated Grana Padano
- 100g Broad Beans (fresh or frozen)
- 50g Black Raisins (optional)
- 1/2tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 10g Chopped Parsley
- 3 Eggs
- 400g Short Crust Pastry
- 6 Large Frozen Pastizzi
- 6 Party Size Frozen Pastizzi
- 1 Extra Egg for Eggwash
- 1tbsp Milk
- Fresh Rucola
- Parma Ham
- Preheat oven to 180°c
2. In a medium size bowl mix ricotta, pecorino, grana, beans, raisins, pepper, parsley & 3 eggs together. Set aside.
3. Roll out around 400g of short crust pastry.
4. Transfer dough to a 30cm pie dish, gently fit into dish and trim the edges.
5. Beat an egg and brush the dough with it. This creates a seal.
6. Gently spread the ricotta mixture and fold the edges.
7. Place 6 large (still frozen) pastizzi and 6 party size ones to create the ‘crust’ Make sure to cover most of the surface.
8. Add a tablespoon of milk to the remaining beaten egg and mix well.
9. Brush the surface completely and bake until golden brown. This should take between an hour to 75mins. Keep an eye.
10. Allow to cool a bit and serve with rucola and parma ham
11. (we’re adding this ourselves) Instagram that shit!