Malta’s roads aren’t exactly the safest place to be, but when you don’t drive you look past the safety issues and long for the day you’re able to join the daily commuters, braving the horrible Maltese traffic.
Here are some moments that push non-drivers to contemplate actually getting their license:
1. When your parents make their ‘taxi driver’ joke
And you know they’re gonna use the time to ask you every awkward question possible.
2. When you wait for the bus in the boiling sun
All the while knowing you might have to wait another hour till it even appears. Yes, even in October.
3. When people ask you why you don’t drive
They’ll all assume it’s because you’re lazy, when there’s probably a multitude of reasons behind it, (not least because you’re too broke to afford lessons).
4. When you have to leave early to catch the bus back home
The night is young, but you end up going home at the same time old people do.
5. When you have to beg your friends to drive you home
And no one is up for it.
6. When you have to walk
Cos your parents aren’t home and you know tal-linja is going to fuck up.
7. When you have to leave home 2 hours early just to get there in time
Being punctual requires a lot of planning beforehand.
8. When you plan to go somewhere, but give up and stay home cos it’s too much effort
I’ll go out some other day.
9. When you think of all the sing-alongs you could have if you had a car
Blasting out Ariana Grande and having no shame about it.
10. When you end up sitting between a ‘creep’ and a ‘chatty nanna’ on Tal-Linja
Living the life.
11. When someone asks you if you can drive them home
And having to tell them you don’t drive.
12. When all your friends drive except you
And you sit there and swear you’ll get your license someday.