“Snail poisoning leads to severe seizures and organ shutdown and it requires immediate vet care to give the dog a chance to survive,” the federation warned.
Over 30 sausages with snail poisoning were retrieved by patrolling rangers this morning after sunrise. They were spread over several stretches of pathways throughout the park.
After scanning the main pathways of the park, no more poison was found.
Nonetheless, HPF has urged the public to be cautious for now and to keep their dogs under supervision as the poison can be detrimental to the canines’ health.
“Do not throw the poison in the shrubs please, it has to be disposed of properly and not left on site. It’s not only a hazard for the dogs at the Park, but also other wildlife such as hedgehogs, wild rabbits, insects and birds,” they explained.
A police report is being filed and if caught, the accused can face a fine up to €50,000 as per S.L 549.83.
If you find anymore of these poisonous traps, be sure to send HPF a message immediately. However, if you decide to remove the matter, snap a photo and take note of the location.
Have you seen any suspicious sausages in Il-Majjistral Nature and History Park lately?