Iceland may be a hundred times better than Malta when it comes to football prowess, international music acts and keeping the country tidy, but when it comes to practically everything else, we’re so similar it’s scary.
1. We’ve got almost the same population size
The only difference is that their population is spread out comfortably across a land that’s practically the size of the entire UK, while ours is jammed into an area the size of their capital city.
2. Their coins look very identical to what ours once were…
…before we were homogenised into the euro currency. #LongLiveLM
3. They have lots of places with the same names
Dubliners, Black Pearl, Le Bistro… Uejja? Mela.
4. They also have heart traffic lights, even when Valentine’s Day is long over
5. Our maps look exactly the same
And we’re both full of beautiful rock formations (past and present). No wonder we were both chosen as Game of Thrones film sets.
6. They also have monuments with missing parts
Introducing the cell to Malta’s zieme.
7. And even some monuments that are exactly like ours
8. We both have politicians with Panama accounts
Iceland’s current Prime Minister was elected AFTER his Panama structures were identified last year even though their previous Prime Minister had to resign over the same scandal.
9. And xeba cranes
Luckily for Iceland, though, they’ve got a lot more space to develop.
10. We both love swimming in boiling water
In Iceland you warm up from the icy cold weather. In Malta it’s more of a placebo to ‘cool off’ from the sweltering heat. Still boiling AF though.
11. They love gross food
We eat rabbit heads, they eat sheep heads. They eat whale blubber, we eat snail (blubber?)…
12. We have a Blue Lagoon. Iceland has a Blue Lagoon.
And both make for great Expectations vs Reality memes.