The Superintendence for Public Health has issued a statement following a massive fire at Wasteserv’s plastic sorting unit in Magħtab earlier this morning. This comes mere hours after the Civil Protection Department warned local residents to avoid Magħtab and the surrounding areas, and to keep all windows closed.
Press Release from the Superintendent of Public Health: pic.twitter.com/zqPATkhvsr
— Chris Fearne (@chrisfearne) August 31, 2018
The warning identifies patients with heart and lung conditions, including heart disease and asthma, as being at high risk to the consequences of exposure to the toxic plume. The Superintendence goes on to clarify that all residents should stay indoors for the time being, and to keep all windows and doors shut. Should anyone experience shortness of breath or other respiratory problems, the Superintendence for Public Health additionally advised immediate medical attention.
Further updates from the Superintendence from Public Health and the Civil Protection Department may be issued later in the day, owing to the fact that the smoke now stretches along most of the eastern part of Malta, and that additional communities may be affected secondary to wind change.
The fire is reported to have begun around 06:00 this morning. The Fire Department is controlling the flames at the time of writing, and no injuries have been reported so far.