These 34 Areas In Malta Are About To Be Hit By A Massive Cleanup
And they're hopefully just the beginning
Cleanups all over Malta have been happening for quite a while now, with the awesome incentive being one of the most popular (and awesome) new national trends of 2017. All of that is set to go on overdrive in September 2018, with a massive cleanup planning to engage 22,000 people (yes, that's 5% of the entire country's population) over 476 different localities. To prepare for something that colossal, this September is going to see a trial run of sorts, in the form of a cleanup which is just as impressively large.
Let's Do It Malta, a collaboration between Swedish-Maltese clean-up heroine Camilla Appelgren and green NGO JCI Malta, has its sights on 204 places for the 16th of September (one year before World Cleanup Day), and they've just announced their first 34. "It was a day filled with laughter and worries, the most beautiful views but also the most depressing ones," Camilla explained. "But most of all, we both feel hopeful."
It might seem like a daunting task, but the two orgnisations will not let that get in their way, and hope to build on past successes to make sure this not only happens, but inspires Local Councils and Maltese people alike to reach the 22,000 goal for next year.
Here are the first 34 confirmed localities, with more to follow soon.
1. Attard - Ta' Aali (the area next to market)
2. Bormla - Sur San Pawl
3. Bormla - St. Helens Gate
4. Bormla - St Pauls Church Area
5. Floriana - Triq San Franġisk (the green area near Paul Boffa)
6. Gżira - Manoel Island's Parking Area
7. Marsaskala - St Thomas Bay
8. Marsaskala - Munxar Area
9. Marsaxlokk - Triq San Luċjan
10. Marsaxlokk - Triq il Delimara
11. Mdina - Triq Ta' L-Infetti (Main Road)
12. Mdina - Melita Trains (both sides)
13. Mellieħa - Selmun Palace
14. Mellieħa - Xemxija to Selmun trekk
15. Mellieħa - Għadira Bay area
16. Mellieħa - Armier area
17. Mġarr - Ghajn Tuffieha
18. Mġarr - Ta' Lippija
19. Mosta - Public Garden
20. Mosta - Road to LIDL
21. Naxxar - Victoria Lines (trekking)
22. Pembroke - Reverse Osmosis area
23. Pembroke - Shooting Range
24. San Pawl il Baħar - Costal clean up near Aquarium
25. San Pawl il Baħar - Kennedy Grove
26. San Pawl il Baħar - Triq Il-Pwales
27. Siggiewi - Għar Lapsi (upper road)
28. Sigiiewi - Għar Lapsi (Near restaurant area)
29. Ta' Xbiex - Triq Imradd
30. Valletta - Maori (Diving Clean Up)
31. Żebbug - Triq it 12 ta' Mejju
32. Żejtun - Gebel San Martin/Mikiel Busuttil
33. Żejtun - Triq Ħaż-Żabbar
34. Qrendi - Wied Iż-Żurrieq (Diving Clean Up)
Many people have already provided their feedback on the whole matter, either congratulating the organisation for taking up their suggestions, or offering new places that would benefit greatly from the cleanup.
If you're interested in joining one of these cleanups (or one of the many others to be confirmed soon) on the 16th of September, stay tuned for more information released via Let's Do It Malta's Facebook page. Events on Facebook for each cleanup will be created on the 1st of August, and the organisers want a minimum of 50 people for each locality.
Tag a friend who'd love to join in this massive cleanup!