Photo from BBC Newsnight clip
It was almost six months ago that journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was killed in a car bomb, and while three men have since been charged with planting and setting off the bomb, police investigations into who ordered the murder are still ongoing.
Yet they are refusing to answer basic questions about the state of these investigations, telling Lovin Malta in a brief email that it would be “imprudent” to answer them.
We are therefore publishing the questions we sent the police that remain unanswered.
1. What level of priority is the murder case being given by the police? Is it at the top of the police’s priority list?
2. Who are the lead investigators on this case?
3. How many other cases are the lead investigators also handling at this moment in time?
4. How many people have been questioned following the arraignment of the three men charged with the murder?
5. Have all the individuals who were suing Daphne Caruana Galizia at the time of her assassination been called in for questioning?
6. Have the following regular targets of Daphne Caruana Galizia been eliminated from suspicion: Adrian Delia, Joseph Muscat, Keith Schembri, Konrad Mizzi, Chris Cardona, John Dalli, Silvio Debono *. If so, on what grounds have they been eliminated from suspicion?
7. Have any potential suspects refused to be questioned? Has there been any pressure on the police officers to hold back from questioning anyone?
The three men charged with murdering Daphne Caruana Galizia. Court sketch by Seb Tanti Burlo
8. What efforts have been made to elicit information from the men who have been arraigned?
9. Do the police still have a blank cheque in terms of the investigation?
10. Are the police waiting for any results or further cooperation from any international investigative bodies?
11. Are the police awaiting any further cooperation in terms of telephony data?
12. When was the last time the police provided an update to the inquiring magistrate?
13. In the last court sitting against the three murder suspects, police officers testified that a Europol specialist who they referred to as ‘Mr Israel’ had assisted them in their investigations. Did the Maltese police know this man’s true identity? If so, who was he and if not, why did he keep his identity secret from the Maltese police?
* All seven of these men had libel proceedings against Daphne Caruana Galizia at the time of her murder