The Maltese government announced today that it is set to spend €27 million on free transport for 26,000 students attending government schools, as well as students attending church and independent schools.
The figure is €7 million over the €20 million figure presented in the budget for 2019.
The government has said this service will save parents €700 per child and will see 250 different operators handling the ferrying of students to their schools and homes.
The free transportation of primary and secondary school students, which was started last year, will continue this year as well, though only 18 operators were employed in 2018.
A spokesperson from the Education Ministry said that this increase to 250 was to address the large number of families who would like the service provided to them.
The spokesperson also said that the overall cost of the service rose by €1 million when compared to last year’s €26 million. Parents interested in applying for the scheme were urged not to leave it to the last second as there is a large demand for the service.
The majority of bus operators will take the roads on Wednesday morning when most schools reopen around Malta.