Maltese Authorities Urge Public To Wash Local Produce Following Toxic Blaze
The Environment and Resources Authority announced that a study will soon be commissioned
Local Health Authorities are urging people to wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before consuming. The Superintendence of Public Health made this announcement following the Magħtab Wasteserve fire on Friday.
Samples will be acquired from local crops to test for burnt residue over the next couple of days. The Environment and Resources Authority announced that a study will soon be commissioned on the dioxin and furan levels in the soil which is found in the vicinity of the area to check for any toxins.
These two chemicals are among the most toxic known to mankind. High levels in furan can lead to long-term liver damage, while dioxins can cause reproductive and developmental problems.
The fire which broke out on Friday has prompted a health hazard announcement similar to that of the Sant’Antnin blaze of 2017, Times of Malta reported. Although the fire has been completely put out, the possible impact on local health has not yet been eliminated.