Social Solidarity Minister Michael Falzon has insisted that his ministry would offer any help to those who ask for it after at least 47 migrants were found living in stables, but refrained from divulging any concrete actions that will be taken.
“It is an issue of both housing and security, whenever someone asks for help we will do so, it obviously depends on the issue, particularly with a case like this,” he said.
Lovin Malta tried to ask the Minister what exactly he planned to do with this case in particular at a press conference earlier today. However, one of his aides interrupted, insisting that the questions remain focused on the press conference, which had already ended.
Two hundred beds were found at the stables in Marsa which were converted to house foreign workers. The Planning Authority said the stables had been converted into 19 small accommodation quarters of approximately 20 square metres, each housing at least 12 people.
Police raided stables in Marsa early this morning… finding around 80 migrants living in squalid conditions
Posted by Lovin Malta on Wednesday, July 17, 2019
37 migrants have been arrested and will most likely facing deportation. However, dozens of migrants have now effectively been left homeless after the raid, shedding further light on a growing unseen housing issue within Malta’s migrant community.
“What did we do to the Maltese? Nothing,” one migrant told The Times of Malta in a piece detailing their plight.
“We were living here, not bothering anyone, just working and living, you know? And now we don’t have anywhere to go. No one wants to let us rent their house or apartment, because we are immigrants, so what do we do now? Sleep on the street? In some pjazza somewhere? It is not fair.”
This case is not isolated; last year, over 120 migrants were left homeless in a similar raid on a Qormi farm.
What do you make of Falzon’s statements?