Petitions And Fundraising Pages Are Being Set Up For The Victims Of The Żurrieq Bus Tragedy

Some are calling on City Sightseeing to pay for the bodies to be sent back home


The families and loved ones of the victims of last week's tragedy involving a double-decker bus that left two dead, six critically injured and dozens injured have set up fundraising pages and petitions in support of the victims and their families.

Loved ones of 37-year-old Elisaveta Avdalá, who was killed in the tragedy, have called on City Sightseeing - the parent bus company - or the Maltese government to cover costs for her body to be repatriated back to Barcelona. 

"Eli’s wish was to be cremated. Unfortunately, cremations are not allowed in Malta which means her repatriation is mandatory. At this point, the family simply cannot afford the cost of such a service. Sadly, neither the government of Malta nor the CitySightseeing Malta Bus Company has offered any help or assistance the families of those deadly affected," said the loved ones of Elisaveta on a petition page.

Wal Faao Qizdwed F 800X450 No Pad

Elisaveta Avdalá

Elisaveta was due to fly back home the day of the accident. She was said to be enjoying Malta so much she was considering moving her business to the country.

A Scottish football team have also set up a fundraising page for 43-year-old Simon Morrison, who is currently in an induced coma. Simon coaches Middlefield Wasps under-19 team, and the club are now trying to raise £3,000 to help support Simon and his family in this time of crisis.


Simon Morrison

“Everyone at Middlefield Wasps are deeply shocked and saddened to hear that our under-19s coach Simon Morrison was seriously injured in a tourist coach crash while on a family holiday in Malta on Monday," said Nick Runcie, president of Middlefield Wasps.

Another former player from the Middlefield Wasps has planned a sponsored group cycle to Edinburgh to help raise funds. 

“We’ve planned this cycle to Edinburgh to try and raise money for the family," said Morgan Robertson. 

Simon Morrison, a football fan and an office worker from Aberdeen, began choking on his own blood after suffering severe head injuries, a broken arm and damage to his eye after the bus crashed into the tree. 

He was saved from drowning in his own blood after his 15-year-old niece Kelsey Henderson quickly placed his head in a secure position and kept chatting to him to keep him conscious until a medical team arrived.

Kelsey and her brother themselves escaped injury but are traumatised after finding themselves in the middle of a disaster scene with their severely injured uncle.

"She saw things she should never have seen. Kelsey’s just a kid. She did so well but she is traumatised," said Ellen Morrison, Simon's mother.

She also said that Kelsey’s brother Kieran, 18, barely missed death after he switched seats just before the coach smashed into the tree.

Two other British boys, Raydeep Singh, aged six, and Karam Raj aged eight, remain in hospital. Raydeep remains in intensive care due to head injuries, while Karam Raj has been released from ITU.

The 24-year-old driver of the City Sightseeing bus has since been arrested. Some media outlets are reporting that he lost control of the bus, but the investigation is ongoing. 

Body parts and blood were scattered all over the place following the deadly crash that saw one victim's arm get ripped off by a low-hanging branch. The remaining casualties are still suffering things like loss of hearing, cracked ribs and head injuries.

Do you think the victims' families should be supported?

READ NEXT: 24-Year-Old Bus Driver Arrested After Yesterday's Deadly Żurrieq Bus Accident


Written By

Johnathan Cilia

Johnathan is interested in the weird, dark, and wonderful contradictions our late-capitalist society forces upon us. He also likes music and food. Contact him at [email protected]