د . إAEDSRر . س

READ AND REACT: The Consultation Document For Malta’s Excavation And Demolition Reform Has Just Been Launched

1
Article Featured Image

The government has launched its consultation document aimed at introducing new regulations for construction and excavation works in Malta after a third building collapsed in under two months.

The Prime Minister and other stakeholders were forced to take action last week after years of insisting that criticisms against the construction industry were unfounded. The reforms are being fast-tracked by the current administration, revealing the amendments and launching the consultation period just four days after the initial announcement.

Malta's latest building collapse has triggered drastic changes

The straw that broke the camel's back.This morning's building collapse was Malta's third major accident in just two months… and it's triggered some drastic changes.

Posted by Lovin Malta on Thursday, June 13, 2019

The consultation period is an extremely short five days, and people are expected to make their submissions by no later than 21 June 2019.

Most of the key proposals had already been revealed by Joseph Muscat, who told the press last Thursday that geological and geotechnical surveys will have to be conducted, while architect or site managers will have to present when crucial decisions are taken concerning excavation.

Fines for those in breach of regulations will increase to €10,000, and up to €50,000 to people who continue excavation works despite warnings.

The full consultation document and accompanying legislation can be found here.

The walls that are overlooking construction sites must now also be secured by the developer. Measures must be taken to protect the structural integrity of neighbouring properties throughout the demolition and excavation works on a site.

Meanwhile, site managers will now have to be either an architect or appointed by one, who will also be legally obliged to inform the Building Regulations Office and architect involved of any irregularities.

The minimum insurance cover for any damages sustained to third parties has increased from €500,000 to€750,000. The insurance must now also be renewed until the demolition, excavation, and construction work is declared complete by the architect.

The developer is also obliged to undergo a risk assessment to see whether the minimum€750,000 insurance cover is sufficient for the project. If it is not, the developer will be required to increase the insurance cover.

What do you make of the proposed amendments?

READ NEXT: Malta’s Excavation And Demolition Ban: Your Questions Answered

You may also love

View All

Thank you for subscribing!

Your email has been added to our list.

lovinmalta.com says

Do you agree to share your location with us?