‘I reported this to police that same day… but I doubt any action was taken’
A video showing a lack of proper health and safety regulations on a construction site adjacent to the block of apartments that collapsed in Mellieħa last week shows just how long the questionable workmanship had been going on for.
In the video, which was taken in December 2018, a driver can be seen filming construction machinery tipping off of the ground due to the weight of its load. The driver attempts to call the authorities to report what he is seeing, but doesn’t seem to get very far.
“This was taken in December of last year, right next to the building that collapsed last weekend,” the man told Lovin Malta. “As you can see, the demolition process is extremely reckless, not only sacrificing buildings next door but even cars passing by. And you can clearly see the heavy vehicle literally wobble off the lorry.”
When the driver tried reporting what he saw to the police, he said he wasn’t very successful
“I reported this to police that very same day but I doubt any action was taken,” he said. “I didn’t end up seeing any wardens or anything… just a dangerous wobbling heavy vehicle which was a danger to both nearby blocks and even cars passing.”
Just last weekend, the neighbouring block of apartments collapsed in Main Street, Mellieħa, trapping one 77-year-old woman inside
The collapse came just weeks after a house in Gwardamanġa collapsed in the middle of the night, with its inhabitants barely escaping the collapsing buildings before it all caved in.
On Sunday, the developer responsible for a building site adjacent to the now-collapsed apartment building insisted that all necessary precautions had been taken during the works, going on to say he had no idea “what could have caused the collapse”.