Joseph Muscat had pledged to ensure the two survivors don’t encounter any bureaucratic problems
Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has not stated outright how the government will help the two survivors of last April’s racist drive-by murder of Lassana Cisse Soulemane in Ħal Far.
Muscat last month pledged that the government will help Mohammed Diallo and Ibrahim Bah, stating in a campaign rally that: “We will make sure that these two people won’t encounter any bureaucratic problems”.
Lovin Malta last week requested details of the plans and asked whether the state will grant them medical and psychological support, financial compensation or Maltese citizenship and whether their families back home will be helped in any way.
However, the Prime Minister has not responded to the questions.
Il-Prim Ministru b’diskors fix-Xewkija, Ghawdex
Posted by Joseph Muscat on Saturday, May 18, 2019
Joseph Muscat talks about the survivors at 35:00
Two young soldiers, Francesco Fenech and Lorin Scicluna, have been charged with the racially motivated murder of Cisse Souleymane and the attempted murder of Bah and Diallo.
Last month, Bah urged the Maltese state to take care of himself and Diallo, warning that Diallo might have to undergo another operation for injuries sustained in the shooting.
May Malimi Rozi, a Chadian teenager who was allegedly run over by the two young soldiers earlier this year, has also said he wants compensation from the suspects.
“My arm was broken and I couldn’t do anything,” he told Lovin Malta. “As I don’t speak English, it’s difficult for me to complain to the police, but I want compensation from the two soldiers for what they did to me.”