The Maltese islands are coming to grips with the first murder victim of 2020 – 33-year-old Chantelle Chetcuti, who died last night after being stabbed in the head by the father of her two daughters outside of a ?abbar club.
The brutal, callous and unneeded loss of life has put a spotlight on the third most common crime in Malta: domestic violence.
As another Maltese mother is killed by a man who supposedly loved her, Maltese people, politicians and women spoke out in light of this terrible tragedy.
1. MP Rosianne Cutajar said that this type of act can never be excused or justified.
2. And MEP Roberta Metsola remembered other victims of domestic violence following Chantelle’s murder.
“Four incidents of domestic violence are reported every day. It is not enough to be angry and heartbroken.”
3. Leading women’s rights campaigner Lara Dimitrijevic said she wouldn’t take anymore “gibberish from those that try to exculpate murderers”.
“There was no passion in any of this. And shame on you for saying so. Women are victims of violence from men, men that continue to feel superior, entitled, privileged.”
4. And her husband, Men Against Violence founder Aleksander Dimitrijevic, wondered how many victims we needed to see.
5. A long and heartbreaking list of women who were victims of domestic abuse was shared online to remind us all just how ingrained in society this type of behavior is.
6. Amidst all the pain and anger, many also called for justice for the murdered mother.
Chantelle Chetcuti was repeatedly stabbed in the head in a brutal attack outside of a bar in ?abbar Sunday evening.
She was attacked by her long time former partner Justin Borg, who has since admitted to the crime. The attack is understood to have come as their relationship was coming to an end.
He is currently under arrest after handing himself in to police covered in blood and with unspecified drugs found on him after being searched.
Chetcuti died Monday night after receiving critical head wounds as a result of being stabbed at least five times with a knife Sunday night.
Borg, reportedly a fruit and vegetable hawker, allegedly knew that Chetcuti was at a ?abbar bar when he went to confront her. Borg, 33, had been attempting to contact Chetcuti for weeks.
He is the father of their two daughters.