News of a huge fire at the Sant’ Antnin recycling plant broke yesterday morning, with a massive pillar of smoke dominating the horizon all over Malta for the rest of the day. As of this morning, the fire was still smouldering, but even though Marsascala residents are being urged to keep their windows closed, experts said there was no health emergency.
And while we congratulate members of the Civil Protection Department for their work, guess what’s already showing up everywhere in droves; yep, memes.
1. It all started with strategically timed photos
2. Everyone had their own theory on what started it all
3. While others thought it was merely a reaction to something else
4. Some people imagined a Malta where every day is 420
5. Maybe it was a signal for help?
6. The insanely huge pillar of smoke looked a tad familiar to certain people…
7. And this morning’s aftermath left even more meme opportunities
BONUS: The accidentally hilarious photo competition
Until the full details of what really happened were released, thousands of people were sharing photos of the pillar of smoke from different localities around the island. But as more photos kept being shared, the place where they were taken from kept getting further and further away. It quickly escalated into an accidentally hilarious competition of how far people could get and still see the whole thing.