The European Parliament election is on our doorstep and Malta will soon get to choose the six people who will represent us in Brussels. Ahead of the crucial date, Lovin Malta is casting the spotlight on some of the MEP candidates who are vying for your vote, helping you get to know them as professionals and as people.
Today, meet Nationalist MEP and candidate David Casa.
1. A bit of a clean freak and will never leave home unless it is spick and span
2. As a teenager loved theatre and once starred in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar in the 1980s
3. Loves horse-riding and often goes galloping through the fields to wind down
4. Entered politics at the age of 19 as part of Guido de Marco’s cabinet
5. Has a serious phobia of needles which dates back to childhood, when a doctor kept prodding as he tried to find a vein.
6. Loves animals, grew up with pets, currently has a cat named Eros.
7. Has Italian roots and loves Italy and Italian culture.
8. Has contested and was successfully elected in every MEP election since Malta’s accession to EU
9. As a 21-year-old diplomat, had shown his disapproval to China’s leader during an official state visit immediately following the Tiananmen square massacre. Got a good telling off from then foreign minister Guido de Marco and the silent treatment from Prime Minister Eddie Fenech Adami.
10. Cannot iron a shirt to save his life and only wears easy iron shirts .
11. Led the Moviment Iva campaign to encourage a yes vote for Malta to join the EU
12. Is absolutely terrified of turbulence. Once, was travelling with Eddie Fenech Adami and Guido de Marco on a small private jet and there was so much turbulence that he threw up all over the plane.
13. Accompanied Guido de Marco on his international trips. The most memorable were when de Marco was President of the United Nations General Assembly in the early 90s
14. Was a diplomat for two and a half years at the Malta High Commission in London
15. Is no Eros Ramazotti, but loves singing karaoke. Also enjoys quad biking and once went on holiday to a Greek island and spent an entire day exploring it on a quad bike.
16. Favourite city in the EU (besides the Maltese ones) is Rome
17. Favourite non-EU city is Buenos Aires
18. Has a particularly fond childhood memory of a visit to the Vatican as an altar boy where a prank was played on a nun that involved taking one of the Vatican’s crows to their room, hoping it would startle her when she went to check on them. The nun was neither scared nor impressed.