Life in Malta: Expectations vs Reality
Things aren't always as they seem!
Let’s face it – we all romanticize our holiday destinations. Although the Maltese islands remain a dream to some – those new to the island might be in for a few surprises
1. Expectation: It has perfect sunbathing weather
Reality: OMG my skin tho
Hats, sun protection creams and UV protective swimwear will be your best friends in summer.
2. Expectation: It's excellent for hitting the beach and relaxing all day
Reality: Having to get there first though...
The solution is simple: plan in advance, leave earlier than you think, and avoid Sunday afternoons for the more popular beaches.
3. Expectation: I'm gonna have the perfect Mediterranean diet
Reality: Pastizzi… glorious pastizzi
Which we are totally fine with, but just in case – you'll find more options here!
4. Expectation: Malta's just one tiny historic island!
Reality: It’s a (sometimes charming) mix of eras
...and most importantly, instagram-friendly. Make the most out of it!
5. Expectation: It's just seascapes and palm trees
Reality: Featuring the occasional concrete jungle
6. Expectation: The locals are mean
Mediterraneans definitely don’t have a rep for being unfriendly – but the loud nature of many locals leads some tourists to proceed with caution.